Collecting Memories, Part 2

So, back a few months ago, I was browsing Facebook, and I came across a post by a band that I love and it was their upcoming tour dates. I nonchalantly mentioned to Alicia that they just so happened to be playing close to us on the day after my birthday. Before I knew it, she had looked it up and purchased tickets. I couldn't believe it. We had been talking about giving memories as gifts, but I never thought that she would have just done that as easily as she did. I was shocked and excited. She wanted us to share the experience of a band that we both enjoy, and it was a birthday gift for me. Double score!

I didn't even have to ask, she just listened and gave me something she knew I would love. We made the 2 hour trip to see them, and it was an amazing time. We talked and laughed the whole way there and back, enjoyed the concert, and even discovered new music in the opening band we had never heard of before. What an experience.

This is a memory that we will both have for the rest of our lives, and I can't wait to make a lot more. It meant so much more to me than something that I would have used up or tossed in a drawer somewhere. It's something that no one can take away from me and will never go bad.

Collecting memories is so much more than just doing stuff or going somewhere. Just like life, it's not about the destination, it's about the journey. Sure, the destination is the main objective, but what if we hadn't talked on the way? I wouldn't know her any more than I did when we left. Relationships are about communication, understanding, and love. You can't get any of those from a new tie, a bottle of cologne, or a hand saw. You get them from being in the moment. Being engaged in conversation. Being present, not giving presents.

Enjoy the experiences. I'm not saying that tangible gift giving is bad, but what will you really get from it? One thing is for sure, you'll never regret doing something you love. Life is a journey, enjoy the ride, and make sure you have the right ones by your side.


No comments:

Post a Comment